SALRC Sponsored Workshops
Workshop on the Languages of Afghanistan, December 12th and 13th, 2003
Friday, December 12
3624 Market Street, University of Pennsylvania
- 9:30 - 11:00: Planning Group: Brian Spooner, Steve Poulos, Schiffman, Deb Vanikar,Others
- 1:00 - 2:00: Registration, (Lobby)
- 2:00 - 3:00: Plenary Session. All groups together: Welcome, Introductions, Explanations, Orientation.
- 3:00 - 5:30: Materials Group: Meet to begin reviewing extant materials (Large Conference Room), Policy Group: (Executive Conference Room)
- 6:00 - 7:00: Reception, Large Conference Room/Lobby ( Wine, Beer, Snacks).
Saturday, December 13
- 9:00 - 10:30 Materials Group, Projects, Priorities, Needs, Policy Group, Presentations
- 10:30 - 10:45 Coffee Break
- 10:45 - 12:15 Joint Session: What do we know so far?
- 12:30 - 1:30 Lunch (Indian food, catered)
- 1:30 - 3:45 Materials Group, Establish Needs and Priorities, Policy Group, Presentations and Summarizing
- 3:45 - 4:00 Coffee break
- 4:00 - 5:00 Joint Session: Updates: Final Reports
- 5:30 - Leave Sheraton for Ariana Restaurant
- 6:00 - 7:30 Dinner at Ariana Restaurant, 134 Chestnut Street. (215) 922-1535
Pedagogical Materials Committee:
- Balochi and Brahui: Elena Bashir
- Dari: Jan Mohammad, Masako Boureston, John Thain
- Nuristani: Jan Mohammad, Richard Strand
- Pashto: Wilma Heston, Richard Strand
- Persian: Pardis Minuchehr, John Thain
- Tajik, Shugni, Wakhi, and Persian: William Beeman
- Uzbek: Sabohat Khalilova
- Technology: David Tatman
Policy Committee (Members and their presentations)
- Khalilova, Sabohat, "Language Policy in Uzbekistan and Uzbek Language Teaching Materials."
- Lutz Rzehak: (Universität Bamberg) "Balochi in Afghanistan and Language Planning for the so-called National Languages in the 1980's."
- Birgit Schlyter, (Department of Oriental Languages, Stockholm) "Changing Language Loyalties in Uzbekistan".
- Jan Mohammad, (University of Arizona) "Official policy of Afghan governments (past and present) regarding the languages spoken by Afghans."
- Helen Faller, (University of Michigan) "The Effects of Language Politics on the existence of language materials for the Central Asian languages spoken in and around northern Afghanistan."
- William Beeman (Brown University), "Varieties in Flux: The State of Language policy in Tajikistan and Uzbekistan."
- William Fierman (Indiana University), "Language Policy in Kazakhstan: Challenges of Formulation and Implementation."
- Pardis Minuchehr (U. of Pennsylvania) "Globalizing Persian: Iranian Media and language policy."
- Robert Nichols (Richard Stockton College), "Pashto: education policy and practice in the NWFP."
- Jeffrey M. Diamond (Cornell), "Historical perspectives about Urdu in colonial Punjab and the NWFP."
- John Clifton (SIL): "Situation of Less-Widely Spoken Languages in Tajikistan."
- Maggie Ronkin, (Georgetown University) "Resources for the Study of Central Asian Language Policies and Languages."
- Alice Davison, (University of Iowa) "UNESCO Pakistan program on Library Resources in Kabul University."