SALRC Assessment Institute
Developing Assessments for South Asian Languages
June 12-16, 2006
During this workshop, we will use the theoretical and research bases of assessment, and the experience of participating faculty to review current assessment practices for South Asian languages. Through discussion, presentation and group work, we will:
1) gain a theoretical and practical foundation in learner-centered and performance-based approaches to effective assessment;
2) explore a variety of assessment frameworks and models;
3) discuss and identify appropriate standards and guidelines to align assessment with guidelines and curricular goals;
4) explore integrating technology in assessment;
5) develop, expand, or adapt effective and practical assessment(s).
Participants are asked to bring sample assessments and course materials (curricular goals, a lesson or unit, text, supplementary texts) for use in developing classroom assessments.
Ursula Lentz of CARLA, University of Minnesota will lead this workshop.